There are some major differences between PHP and Python. Though, both PHP and Python are equally competitive and offer the very best to their individual set of clients yet there are few sets of differences where each one of them offers the best in service.
Php vs Python
Let us now do In-depth comparison of PHP vs Python and analyze the various differences between Python and PHP:
|Basis of Comparison||PHP||PYTHON|
|Ease of Learning||For beginners in programming, PHP may be a bit difficult to learn.||It is relatively simple to learn for beginners as it has simple syntax.|
|Speed||The execution speed in PHP is about three times faster than a Python program.||The execution speed is slower than that of PHP.|
|Choice of Web Frameworks||Frameworks like Codeigniter, Symfony and Laravel are widely used.||Frameworks like Django, Pyramid, and Flask are now being chosen by developers due to its ease of usage and speed.|
|Syntax||The complicated syntax that includes libraries having many naming conventions.||The precise and easy syntax that resembles the pseudo-code.|
|Use of CMS||The most popular CMS WordPress is built on top of PHP along with Woocommerce and Magento.||It has supported a Django powered CMS but is not as powerful as those supported by PHP like WordPress.|
|Debugging||Multiple debugging tools need to be used here.||One debugging tool called Python Debugger is sufficient.|
|Popularity||It is popular for experienced programmers and developers.||It is popular among beginner programmers.|
|Usage||PHP is only restricted to the web.||Besides programming, Python is also used for clean- up of certain files and directories along with scripting.|
|Look and feel of the language/code||The code in a PHP stack doesn’t look very impressive, without much functionality.
User has to use symbols, arrays, pound signs and dollar signs, which is not very appealing to the eye.
The coding standards are not mandatory in PHP and optional for users.
|In Python, the user is allowed through the files, has an indentation, user can read them through the code, line by line, and allows the user to end the code.
As a programming language Python permits you to forcibly to learn coding standards.
The user gets to learn coding standards.
|Language for the future.||It is interesting to see that quite a few numbers of PHP projects have outpaced or flatlined Python or any other programming language and are way ahead of many open projects in python.
Facebook.com uses a PHP stack.
Gethub.com is a website utilizes PHP is much ahead of python.
Wikipedia- ranks in the top 10 websites worldwide. This is an open-source encyclopaedia used a PHP stack, however, lacks sophistication.
Fliker.com was the no.1 photo-sharing website, owned by Yahoo.com, is a very established brand, also runs on a PHP stack.
|Instagram, Reddit.com and Pintrest.com use Python as their programming language.|
|Transition to other programming languages||Transition to other programming languages will be tougher when using a PHP stack as PHP is not at all object-oriented.
More of a procedural programming language similar to Java and certainly not fully object-oriented language, quite similar to C++ or Java, and the reason is that they all have primitive types and PHP contains an enormous collection of function like str replace() and is_*(), which are evidently procedural in nature.
|A transition from python to other languages like JAVA is still a little smooth.
Python is object-oriented, more up-to-date and allows the user to write the code in a non-object oriented way.
This is not entirely web-based.
Can be used a procedurally based programming lang.
|Future||PHP does not show up anywhere on the list in the top business of the world, as a good programming language. In the programming world, PHP will see the sunset very soon.||Some of the world’s largest and most distinguished schools like Stanford, Berkley, IVY League schools and MIT are teaching Python|
|Companies||Accenture, Hortonworks and Zuora, LiveRamp, SolarCity, Birchbox, Angie’s List are some of the prominent companies using PHP||Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Mozilla, Dropbox, Quora, NASA are some companies which use Python.|
Introduction of PHP
PHP stands for Hypertext Preprocessor is a programming language used for back end web development that earlier stood for Personal Home Pages. It is a server-side language that is essential for developing web applications, dynamic websites, and static web pages. The PHP code is embedded within the HTML document. To handle the website’s back end, the language is used along with MySQL and Linux/UNIX web servers. However, the code can only be interpreted on servers where PHP is installed. It is a very popular open-source scripting language that has libraries and extensions for all requirements. As it is an interpreted language, it does not require compilation.
Pros of PHP
- It is a platform-independent language that is compatible with all major operating systems like Windows, UNIX, LINUX, Mac, and Solaris.
- PHP can be easily connected to the databases with the help of its built-in databases modules that are very useful while operating an e-commerce website.
- It can be used to implement object-oriented concepts in a simple manner.
- The language has excellent documentation at its original website that is useful for developers while developing applications and learning new library functions.
Cons of PHP
- The language’s expansive library and packages can be sometimes confusing to select from as new packages are constantly being added. The core development team of PHP does not handle it well, resulting in time wastage.
- The websites developed through PHP still have security issues that can create problems while developing web applications for clients.
- The language is not properly optimized for building desktop applications.
- Working with PHP requires the developer to have a basic understanding of HTML, which may not be possible for everyone.
Introduction of Python
Python is a very popular general-purpose programming language that is used for developing applications, front end, and back end website development, desktop applications, artificial intelligence tools, and electronic gadgets. Python is famous all over the world due to its simple syntax and a vast library of built-in functions that make it easier for developing software. It is a high-level language that is used for Rapid Application Development. Due to its simplicity, the cost of development and code maintenance is relatively lower than in other languages. It is used in Google, Youtube, BitTorrent, the New York Stock Exchange and even in NASA.
Pros of Python
- It has high readability and is well structured which is suitable for novice and experienced programmers.
- It is open source and has one of the world’s most powerful communities who are very active in the support forums.
- The language is ideal for developing prototypes for applications, as the syntax is efficient that requires less code to perform large tasks.
Cons of Python
- It is not very good for threading and does not perform well with multi-threaded programs.
- It is not native for the mobile application environment and is not supported by Android or iOS platforms.
- Does not support the development of 3D games with high graphics.
While both PHP and Python have decent community support and documentation, programmers are choosing Python over PHP for more building more robust applications. On the other hand, experienced programmers are still voting for PHP for easier server-side scripting. However, shifting from Python from PHP is smoother for back end web development, than any other language.